Senior Transport Economist
Position: Senior Transport Specialist
Starting date: Nov 2022
Duration of project: 48 months (full-time position)
Expert input: 880 man days
Project: Global Gateway Support Mechanism
The professional background and experience of the Senior Transport Economist will be key to promote and implement the quality infrastructure and connectivity agenda in the transport sector, in particular on the economic aspects, including the support to the formulation and implementation of the different interventions.
Qualifications & Skills required:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent diploma) in transport, engineering, transport economics or any other directly related disciplines;
- Excellent knowledge of the transport sector (and related policies and best practices) in the following areas:
- programs and policy design fit-for promoting the transition towards green, clean, safe, smart, resilient and inclusive transport delivery and services;
- quality infrastructure and connectivity scenarios and perspectives;
- infrastructure maintenance and asset preservation;
- transport sector efficiency and multi-modal approaches;
- economic and technical studies;
- financial schemes and institutional frameworks;
- private sector participation;
- social (including gender and human rights) issues towards addressing inequalities;
- environmental and climate related issues;
- disaster risk reduction;
- monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of development aid delivery methods;
- Languages: C2 fluency English / C2 fluency French for the Team Leader; C2 fluency English / C1 knowledge French for the other Key Expert ; B2 knowledge Spanish or Portuguese covered by any of the Key Experts;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills.
General professional experience:
- At least 15 years of general professional experience in the transport sector in the areas indicated above.
Specific professional experience:
- At least 7 years of professional experience in assisting developing countries in the transport sector
- Professional experience in the different aspects related to the G20 Principles for Quality Infrastructure in the transport sector, in particular on the economic side, such as sector planning, feasibility studies, economic and financial profitability, life-cycle costs and benefits of transport infrastructure, private sector participation, etc.
As an asset:
- Professional experience in the Sub-Saharan Africa region (in situ) would be an asset;
- Professional experience in providing support to governance / capacity building in the transport sector would be an asset;
- Professional experience with the EU rules and procedures would be an asset.