Trade Policy Specialist
Position: Trade Policy Specialist
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Starting date: August 25th, 2021
Duration of project: 36 months
Expert input: At least 480 working days
The objective of the project is the provision of technical assistance required for the effective implementation of the Support Programme to the implementation of the European Union - Southern African Development Community Economic Partnership Agreement in South Africa. The aim is to achieve an increased, sustainable and inclusive economic growth with higher employment in South Africa, by unlocking challenges related to quality infrastructure and technical capacity in agricultural value chains and increasing the responsiveness to opportunities under the EPA by the exporters.
Project: Technical Assistance for the Support Programme to the implementation of the European Union (EU) - Southern African Development Community (SADC) Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) in South Africa
Qualifications & Skills required:
- Master’s degree or any equivalent degree in International Trade, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Business, International trade law or any other related field
- Proficiency of English (written and spoken)
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office suite of programs
- Proven track record in chairing or facilitating seminars/meetings and/or public-private dialogue processes is an advantage.
General professional experience:
- At least 5 years of experience in market access trade-related technical assistance working with government agencies or similar entities and multiple stakeholders.
Specific professional experience:
- At least five years of experience working on agricultural trade policy development and implementation.
- At least five years of professional experience in agricultural trade policy issues/procedures – such as trade facilitation, sanitary and phytosanitary measures, technical barriers to trade, Rules
of Origin, safeguard measures and private sector development.
- Experience in capacity building and training programmes.
- Proven track record in project monitoring and evaluation will be an asset.
- Experience in working in South Africa or Southern African Development Community region will be an asset;
- Experience working with the European Union or similar international donor, Southern African Development Community, and South African trade agreements will be an asset;
- Experience working with European Union trade agreements in particular with geographical indications and tariff-rate quota management will be an asset.