Rural Energy Specialist, with experience in the SADC region
Position: Rural Energy Specialist
Location: Home-based, with several visits to Botswana, Johannesburg, and other SADC cities
Duration: 63 working days, over 6 months
Start date: 20th May 2019 (indicative)
Project: Review of the SADC Regional Energy Access Strategy and Action Plan
The aim of the project is to increase energy access to sustainable energy sources and clean cooking systems until there is universal access for all by 2030 in the SADC region.
The consultants are expected to utilize the most expeditious means to obtain the necessary information for the Review of the SADC Regional Energy Access Strategy and Action Plan. This is expected to be through the review of individual Member States energy access policies and strategies, including Member States energy access levels and updating the energy access levels for each Member State, literature review, stakeholder engagements prior to, during and after the study, in-country visits, analysis and documentation of information
Qualifications and skills
- Masters’ Degree in Electrical Engineering / Energy Engineering, or related area or equivalent practical experience of 5 years in the energy sector in addition to the experience required.
- Excellent command of English. Working knowledge of French and Portuguese will be an asset;
General professional experience
- At least 6 years of experience working on energy sector and rural energy supply;
- Proven experience in energy access related activities, especially on sustainable energy policy and regulatory frameworks;
Specific professional experience
- Extensive knowledge of energy planning tools;
- Good knowledge of the energy sector in the SADC region with a focus on the current and potential role of renewable energy and market frameworks, rural energisation, on-grid and off grid solutions, and sustainable business models.
- Track record of working with renewable energy, and distributed energy players in the SADC region with knowledge of the latest market developments in the region to accelerate renewables is an asset