Road Contracts Specialist
Position: Road Contracts Specialist
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duration: 230 working days over 3 years
Start date: November 2018 (indicative)
Project: Technical Assistance for Contract Specialist of Development Roads Project
The global objective of the assignment is to advice the Government of Tanzania in the management of works and service contracts financed under EU-funded road programmes.
Specific objectives of the assignment are i) To examine the justification and amounts of claims as submitted by the Contractors and the determinations made on the claims by the Supervisor's Representative, the Supervisor and the review made by the Contracting Authority; ii) To make recommendations on application of liquidated damages and any other contractual issues in accordance with the conditions of contracts; iii) To assist the Government of Tanzania in possible arbitration and/or litigation related to disputes in works/services road construction contracts.
Dar es Salaam will be considered as base of operations. The assignment will cover relevant road projects to be identified in Tanzania. Few missions outside of the base of operations is foreseen i.e. Singida, Kagera, Morogoro, Dodoma and southern highland regions of Iringa, Mbeya and Njombe.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master Degree in Civil Engineering, or equivalent engineering discipline from a recognized University/Institute;
- Membership of a recognized professional institution(s) is an advantage;
- A very good command of legal and professional, written and spoken English is necessary.
General professional experience:
- More than 10 years of relevant practical and professional experience and a proven record in the administration of civil works, services and supply contracts;
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in the administration of contracts;
- Sound experience in arbitration and litigation is required;
- Experience in international contracts is to be proven,
- More than 5 years working experience in ACP countries providing advisory support on infrastructure related projects.
Specific professional experience:
General and Administrative
- A strong track record in project management skills for works and service contracts;
- Problem solving experience with at least two arbitration/litigation cases;
- In depth understanding of civil works designs, specifications and contract administration;
- Working knowledge of the administration of claims assessment for civil works contracts.
A strong practical experience in infrastructure provision in ACP countries including:
- Demonstrated practical experience in the design, management and/or supervision of road rehabilitation and maintenance works;
- Experience in the management/supervision of building construction works is an advantage;
- Demonstrated practical experience in sound claim analysis and application of dispute resolution procedures including amicable settlement, conciliation and/or arbitration;
- Demonstrated practical experience in the preparation, examination and administration of tender dossiers for works, supplies and consultancy services including (paved and unpaved) roads, bridges and public buildings.
- A strong background in financial, technical and contractual management of large infrastructure (roads and buildings) programmes, Project Cycle Management and Conditions of Contract;
- In depth knowledge of Project Cycle Management, developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems based on performance indicators.