Back to projects
Client: Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) | 01/04/2012 - 01/11/2012
Facilitating Private Sector Participation in the Promotion of Energy Security in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu
Study on the Energy Sector
- Undertaking a study to establish the energy balance of each country.
Review of existing national energy policies in the context of the analysis of the energy balances prepared.
- Collation of renewable energy and energy efficiency potentials in each country.
- Preparation of a report containing recommendations on the alternative policy and regulatory options, at both national and regional level, which are conducive to enhancing the enabling environment for private sector investment in the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy sectors.
Communications and Visibility
- Preparation and dissemination of regular interim updates to stakeholders.
- Dissemination of information, findings and results in both English and French.
- Organisation of a Trade and Investment Forum.
Back to projects
The rationale for this project is that the provision of specialised advisory services to the key stakeholders will empower them to more effectively undertake business environment reforms and create more favourable business and investment conditions by increasing their knowledge, building their capacity and raising their skills. Ultimately, the project will lead to the establishment of a policy framework for the active participation of the private sector in the promotion of energy security in Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.
The project support is a combination of:
- Assessing the Energy Balance of each country, reviewing existing national energy policies based on the analysis of the energy balances, and the collating of the potential for renewable energy and energy efficiency in each country
- Preparing recommendations on national policy, regulations and financial frameworks to enhance the enabling environment for private sector investments in the Renewable Energy (RE) & Energy
- Undertaking Energy Efficiency (EE) studies of each sector in the three countries.
- Sensitising the stakeholders on the outcome of the studies and creating awareness of the importance of the issue.
- Organising a participatory forum for the key stakeholders